On the Eve of Oxi (‘No’) day, Friday, 27 October 2023, the Hellenic Australian Lawyers (SA Chapter) held the 2023 John William Perry AO QC Oration (HAL Oration SA) at the Hilton Hotel in Adelaide, South Australia.
The HAL Oration SA had the privilege of having the Honourable Justice Stephen Gageler AC – High Court of Australia delivering the oration on the topic of “Democracy and Reason”. His Honour’s presentation also included the Aristotelian theory and how it compared to the modern structures of Parliament and the Federal Supreme Court (High Court) within the Australian Constitution.
The HAL Oration SA is an annual dinner celebrating the life and contribution of the late Honourable Justice John William Perry AO QC, who was the first Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia of Hellenic background, who served the Court for 19 years.
The Honourable Justice Melissa Anne Perry, and daughter of the Late John William Perry, also addressed the attendees by reflecting on her father’s life and legacy.
The HAL Oration SA also featured a special cultural performance by the Greek Orthodox Community of South Australia Dance Academy (GOCSADA) with the President of the Greek Community of South Australia, Mr Peter Gardiakos, in attendance.
The GOCSADA was formed in 1980 and is one of the longest running and successful dance schools in South Australia. Attendees enjoyed a performance of 4 unique dances from the island of Crete.
Further guests included:
- The Honourable Tom Koutsantonis MP, Minister for Infrastructure and Transport and Minister for Energy and Mining representing The Honourable Peter Malinauskas MP, Premier of South Australia.
- The Honourable Andrea Michaels MP, Minister for Small and Family Business, Minister for Consumer and Business Affairs and Minister for Arts.
- The Honourable Jack Batty MP, representing the Hon. David Spiers MP, Leader of the Opposition.
- The Honourable Christopher Kourakis, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of South Australia.
- The Honourable Justice Laura Stein of the Supreme Court of South Australia.
- The Honourable Justice Judith Hughes of the Supreme Court of South Australia.
- The Honourable Connie Bonaros MLC and the Honourable Laura Henderson MLC, members of the Legislative Council of South Australia.